Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Pigeons and Swordfish

I think I could sum up the interesting portion of my day using two images: pigeons and swordfish:

Pigeons


We went to the church of Santa Maria today, a church supposedly dedicated to the virgin Mary. However, given all the family emblems and family imagery, it looked more like a church built for the glorification of its commisioners. In the front of the church was a fountain with a bunch of pigeons drinking, bathing, and striking all sorts of funny poses. This was one of them.

Swordfish

After seeing a giant fountain on the top of a hill, I ended up wandering around Rome on my own again. I found this awesome swordfish near the campo and took a shot. It felt so out of place in the campo--a spiny, dark, solemn figure amid florid joy and ignorance.

Most of my time was devoted to writing up a presentation. I'm actually very excited to share all the stories I've collected in the past week from various immigrants. The stories are fascinating; everyone has something to share.

Oh, and I went for a run at around 10 pm with Jenn, which was refreshing. It's nice to finally burn off some of the gelato I've been eating.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nate said...

Though, isn't the Virgin Mary very much connected to the ideals of family life? Nearly every image of Mary also involves the baby Jesus, either feeding or playing.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Julenka said...

Still, shouldn't a church dedicated to Mary be about mary, and not the families that built it? I mean, it's a religious building, not a monument.

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home